• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed DiRuzza
    started a topic Gift Cards

Gift Cards

Hey everyone,

We have been getting approached by many of our stores who are looking for a more integrated solution to offering gift cards. As we all know, gift cards are a great way to increase revenue and advertise your store at the same time. With the holiday season fast approaching, we want to get your feedback on whether you think gift cards can work for you.

If you could take a few moments to write down your thoughts relating to the following topics, it would help us figure out a more viable and economical solution for our customers.

- Do you use Gift Cards now?
    - Are they the plastic ones that look like credit cards?
    - Are they generic looking or did you have custom art work put on them?
    - How many do you sell in a year?
    - What are most common dollar amounts sold?
    - Do you sell them all year long or do you sell them mostly around Christmas time?
    - Do you use an outside service to track the balances?
    - What did you pay for the cards? For how many?
    - Do you have to pay per swipe?
    - Do you feel it's worth it? If not, what would make it worth it?
    - Would it make a difference if everything was tracked within Liberty?
    - If you're not using gift cards, what's the biggest hurdle stopping you? Upfront cost? Ability to track them? Give us your thoughts.

• Support Team
    replied
    Kris:

Currently, 3.6a is available as a beta download. We don't have it published to My Resaleworld as it's still in the beta testing phase. This is a pretty significant release in that, credit card processing has been completely overhauled. We want to make sure this is properly vetted before we make it live.

Outside of that, all the other changes are stable, including Gift Cards. If you're interested, I can add you to the beta forum here on our Message Board. We ask that our beta testers provide feedback during testing, so if that's something you'd like to participate in, let me know!

Here are the Release Notes for the upcoming 3.6a release...

https://my.resaleworld.com:444/releasenotes/

Issue #6368 outlines the new Gift Card changes. You can use cards from pretty much anywhere! We've made the Gift Card support very open - you get a text field that allows you to type, scan or swipe a card number into it...

Liberty then stores that Gift Card # in its database...

In my example, I just typed 9999888877776666 into that field. So this could be used for paper gift cards/certificates you've printed out, each with a unique number and without a bar code or magnetic strip. You can also scan a bar code that's been printed on the back of your gift card or if your card has a magnetic stripe, you can swipe it into this field.

Once Liberty has stored that Gift Card #, it tracks the initial amount assigned and each transaction (whether it be a transaction that depletes OR replenishes the card), thus keeping track of the available balance.

We're working with a few partners and we're looking into various Gift Card solutions that Resaleworld can offer.

As far as X-Charge, we've been utilizing X-Charge for credit card processing for quite some time. X-Charge has made some changes to their programming interface, which allows applications such as ours to become PCI compliant. We're also right on track with signature capture and it's already up and running in-house. It's a pretty deep feature, so we won't be including it in the 3.6a release. 3.6a will bring in support for the latest version of X-Charge (all Liberty users will need to be on X-Charge 7.0 or above when the new version of Liberty is released), which will set the stage for the upcoming signature capture enhancement.

Let us know if this helps or if you have any other questions!

Leave a comment:

• phenomenal
    replied
    gift cards

Ed,

Is version 36A available for download? Am I able to use pre printed gift cards with the new version?

Can I order gift cards from any source? Is all I need a barcode on them?

Kris

Leave a comment:

• Ed DiRuzza
    replied
    Can't give you an exact date, however, we have stopped making changes to the 3.6a code and it is now being tested in a few stores. Once we get back a clean bill of health, we will send out.

I am as anxious as you. It will be shortly as we are trying to get out before the heavy gift card season arrives upon us.

As far as credit card processing, I hope you are switching to X-Charge. There is a new integration module for them in this release. It's very clean and more importantly, gives you the option of going to a signature pad should you choose to go down that line. Very nice...!

Leave a comment:

• bargain betty
    replied
    when will 3.6a be released?

I knew it was coming, I just would like to have an idea when this will be released

Leave a comment:

• klassykidz
    replied
    It is part of 3.6a, and it works great! I am "fiddeling" the Beta version of it now. It is extremely flexible and east to adapt.

If you are changing credit card processing, I strongly suggest you consider Global through X-Charge. The integration with POS saves so much time and with a card swipe connected to your computer it is as eay as taking cash!

Leave a comment:

• bargain betty
    replied
    When?

Hi Ed,
    Any idea when this will be released? I'm getting ready to change credit card processing companies and would like to drop my gift card processor at the same time.
    Thanks
    DeAnn

Leave a comment:

• JARREDS
    replied
    Looks great!
    Everyone at resaleworld is great!

Pssstt..
    Is that the new POS Module too???

Leave a comment:

• klassykidz
    replied
    Looks good Ed. I like the flexibility. Thanks for the video too, makes it crystal clear!

Leave a comment:

• Ed DiRuzza
    replied
    Gift Card Recap

Thanks everyone for your input on the gift card feature. Our developers have finished coding the next release of Liberty (3.6a) and we are putting together an update package and testing it thoroughly. We really hope to have it out to everyone within the next few weeks.

The gift card feature will be in this release.

It will support both bar coding and magnetic stripe as well as using the stickers you can buy for the rewards module on our web site.

The results from our survey are also in. The most popular gift card styles are -

G, E, O, I, Q, R and S.

T, K, F and H were a distant second. The others got a couple of votes.

After talking to many Gift Card manufacturers about trying to reduce cost for smaller quantities, the best way to produce, let's say 100 - 250 cards per store would be to select one of the 6 or 7 generic gift cards and print the store name on the front of the card. The name would be in a large font and you would probably have the choice to print 2 or three lines of other text on the front of the card. Printing a logo would probably be a real pain because the logo would be one color - black. The back of the card would have all the terms and conditions of the gift card.

We will be offering 6 styles of cards on our storefront very shortly. We just wanted to make sure that you understood how the gift cards will work before it is released so you can plan accordingly.

If you don't want to use these generic type cards, you will most likely have to get them made on a custom basis. You will have to order around 500 - 1000 to get any kind of price break.

If you want to get a quote on a custom gift certificate card done, there are a lot of sites.

We've been talking with Tele-Pak. They are a big company and have a wide variety of products.

From their site, for example, a quote of 500 cards, using PVC 30 mil cards, 4 colors front, 1 color back, bar coding and numbering would cost around $530 or about $1.06 per card. This would be all that you would need. Only problem is, you spend $500 up front.

If you have any additional questions, let me know.
    Last edited by Jason Zander; 08-27-2014, 01:40 PM. Reason: Removed link to video as its gone

Leave a comment:

• 2547957ltl
    replied
    top 10 gift card picks

E l h g n i m o q t

Originally posted by ed diruzza View Post
    hey everyone,

the next release of liberty (3.6) will include a number of new changes. I am sure you will like some of the additional features we are currently adding.

The good news is that gift cards have been implemented into this version. You will be able to sell gift cards, add amounts to them, redeem and replenish if you desire. There will be no fees for using the gift card feature. Yeah!

We would also like to offer gift cards in our resaleworld store. From what i read in the thread relating to gift cards, it appears that most of you are not selling large quantities of gift cards - anywhere from 10 - 250 a year. Getting gift cards printed in smaller quantities is rather expensive. If you order more 1000 or so, you can get the cost down to a reasonable per card cost but smaller quantities are very expensive.

We thought we would try to take the bite out of forking over a huge amount a money for these by offering generic 4-color gift cards and then printing your store logo on the front of the card. We would also print relevant store information on the back of the card along with a unique gift card number for tracking purposes.

So i need your help, below are twenty samples of gift cards that i found all over the internet. They're pretty generic. The amounts will not be printed on the cards - so disregard that. We're just trying to get an idea of style. Bottom line - they will all say something like "gift card", or "happy birthday", etc.

Let us know which cards you like the best. Pick your top 10. We're only going to offer 10 types in our store. As far as cost goes, we're really trying to keep these as cheap as possible. For now, let's just see what you like. Also, if you have any other recommendations on cards let us know.

If gift cards haven't won you over yet...here's a few things i came across on the internet that might sway you.

Gift cards offer...
    Increased revenue
    increased float and slippage (on average 10-15% of cards are never redeemed)
    no change given 100% value
    gift card sales boost ( average 30% more than paper)
    additional revenue streams
    enhanced promotional capabilities to drive incremental sales
    encourages return visits to reduce value on card

Leave a comment:

• mdiblasi
    replied
    Re: Gift Card rankings

Thanks for including our input.
    Our top 5 choices are E, L, O, D, C
    However any of them would probably be fine.
    Thanks,
    Rags to Riches

Originally posted by Ed DiRuzza View Post
    Hey everyone,

The next release of Liberty (3.6) will include a number of new changes. I am sure you will like some of the additional features we are currently adding.

The good news is that gift cards have been implemented into this version. You will be able to sell gift cards, add amounts to them, redeem and replenish if you desire. There will be no fees for using the gift card feature. Yeah!

We would also like to offer gift cards in our Resaleworld store. From what I read in the thread relating to gift cards, it appears that most of you are not selling large quantities of gift cards - anywhere from 10 - 250 a year. Getting gift cards printed in smaller quantities is rather expensive. If you order more 1000 or so, you can get the cost down to a reasonable per card cost but smaller quantities are very expensive.

We thought we would try to take the bite out of forking over a huge amount a money for these by offering generic 4-color gift cards and then printing your store logo on the front of the card. We would also print relevant store information on the back of the card along with a unique gift card number for tracking purposes.

So I need your help, below are twenty samples of gift cards that I found all over the internet. They're pretty generic. THE AMOUNTS WILL NOT BE PRINTED ON THE CARDS - so disregard that. We're just trying to get an idea of style. Bottom line - they will all say something like "Gift Card", or "Happy Birthday", etc.

Let us know which cards you like the best. Pick your top 10. We're only going to offer 10 types in our store. As far as cost goes, we're really trying to keep these as cheap as possible. For now, let's just see what you like. Also, if you have any other recommendations on cards let us know.

If gift cards haven't won you over yet...here's a few things I came across on the internet that might sway you.

Gift cards offer...
    Increased revenue
    Increased float and slippage (on average 10-15% of cards are never redeemed)
    No change given 100% Value
    Gift card sales boost ( average 30% more than paper)
    Additional revenue streams
    Enhanced promotional capabilities to drive incremental sales
    Encourages return visits to reduce value on card

Leave a comment:

• mony924
    replied
    This sounds pretty cool.

I like A,C, E, & S.

I also would like to see a "holiday" version.

Leave a comment:

• Ollie
    replied
    Gift Cards

I don't use gift cards....I'm too new to this business. I did use gift certificates when I first opened (Aug 1) to encourage consignment. I may use the cards sometime down the pike and would probably vote for D or O (generic). Carol Bentley, Upscale Resale Cabo

Leave a comment:

• Suigeneris
    replied
    My fav are... but I really like F
    F
    I
    S
    G

but i would prefer to have a solid GOLD card where A log can go.. im more about marketing our logo in this idea...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X